Red sweet pepper, winter squash and cilantro brighten up this spicy soup, making this Mexican-inspired one-dish meal the perfect family dinner. Accompany with a fresh fruit salad and warm crusty bread.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups peeled, cubed winter squash
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken (about 10 ounces)
- 1 cup loose-pack frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Prep 20 m
Ready In 40 m
- Coat an unheated Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat. Add onion and sweet pepper to hot Dutch oven. Cook about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin, chili powder and paprika; cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, squash, tomato, salt and ground pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in turkey or chicken, corn and cilantro; heat through.
- Serving size: 1 serving
- Per serving: 153 calories; 3 g fat(1 g sat); 3 g fiber; 15 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 34 mcg folate; 35 mg cholesterol; 5 g sugars; 1,707 IU vitamin A; 51 mg vitamin C; 38 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 615 mg sodium; 483 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Vitamin A (34% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1
- Exchanges: 2 lean protein, 1 vegetable, ½ fat, ½ starch